The Blewett Pass Highway was once one of the most heavily-traveled passes in Washington. Although US Route 97 is now the only route to traverse this roadway, US 10 was once routed over Blewett to Wenatchee for the Columbia River crossing. Nowadays, US 10 no longer exists in the West and I-90 is routed southeast, leaving a sleepy route mostly frequented by RVs and outdoor enthusiasts. The landscape on the north side of the pass is quite alpine and very green with thick evergreen forests. The trees come up within a few feet of the roadway, creating a serious ‘hoofed rodent’ problem at twilight. These trees go right up to the top of the pass, before changing drastically as you come down the south side.
While there is a small residential area of Valley Hi, there are quite a few homes scattered along the highway and nestled in the trees along the highway leading up to Blewett Pass on both sides.
Ingalls Creek near Blewett Pass is a wonderful hike that covers 11 miles.
A MOMENT FROM THE PAST!
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Blewett was a town in Chelan County, Washington, United States. The small mining town was established on the west side of Peshastin Creek in the foothills of the Wenatchee Mountains in the mid-1870s. The first mining claims were filed in 1874, and a stamp mill followed by 1878. A wagon road to Cle Elum was completed in 1879. The community was originally called Werner with the establishment of a post office in 1893, but the name was changed to Blewett a year later. It was named after Edward Blewett of Seattle, whose mining company owned many of the claims in the area. A road to Peshastin was completed in 1896, and a stage ran three days a week. During this time the town boasted a school, a two-story hotel, stores, a saloon and telegraph service. The mill ceased operations in 1905 when the main vein of ore ran out. Not much exists there today, though the Stamp Mill and scattered small buildings are still standing. A few mines are still accessible, but care must be taken when exploring. The town may be found near the US-97 roadside marker. There is a parking area and information sign.